Due to CoVid constraints and the volume of mail going through Australia Post, please do not forward your forms to our mailing address. Please email all forms to contactus@unitingfinancial.com.au. Please note we no longer accept faxes. To avoid duplication please do not forward any emailed forms via Australia Post. Should you require any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact the Partner Solutions and Support team on 1300 133 673

FAQs. At Call & HVOL


What are the changes?

APRA (Australian Prudential Regulation Authority) has made changes in the way Religious Charitable Development Funds (RCDFs) like Uniting Financial Services (UFS) operate. From 1 January 2018, UFS will no longer be able to offer the Higher Values Online or At Call investment products to any of our personal investors because under the new reform, funds cannot be held at call. The new requirements mean that UFS can only offer investments with a minimum term of 31 days (Church organisations are exempt)

What will happen to my investment?

Unless we have instructions directing us to make alternative arrangements, your investment will automatically be converted to the new 31 Day Investment and you will receive a new Investment number.

What are the key terms and conditions of the new 31 Day Investment?
  • Withdrawal of funds can only be made at maturity. Requests to withdraw funds before maturity (i.e. before the end of 31 days) can only be made in cases of hardship as defined by UFS.
  • No scheduled transactions (Periodic Payments, Direct Debits/Credits or BPAY©) will be permitted.
  • Online access will be “view only”.
What do I need to do?

If you wish the investment to be converted to the new 31 day investment, you will not be required to do anything. You will however need to make alternative arrangements for any existing Scheduled Transactions (Periodical Payments, Direct Debits/Credits and BPay transactions), as the imposed restrictions will no longer allow for these types of payments to be made.

When and how will I know what my new investment number is?

We will provide you with an investment certificate as soon as possible after the conversion date showing your new investment number. If you previously had online access you can view your new investment through Uniting Online where you will be able to see what your investment number is.

These changes don’t work for me and I want to close my investment – what can I do?

We regret this change to legislation will unavoidably impact the way you operate your investment, however please remember we are here to help you work through this and as you know the Uniting Church benefits from every dollar that is invested with UFS. Of course we are not in the business of preventing you from accessing your funds within the limits of the new legislation. You can close your investment but after 1 January 2018, withdrawals can only be made when your investment matures (unless a case of hardship applies)

Of course any request to withdraw funds will still need to be in writing.

How do I open a new investment or convert my funds to a different type of investment (longer dated FTI)?

We have longer dated Fixed Term Investments starting from 31 days and up to 60 months. You will be required to complete an application form and provide the requested identification documentation.


How do I add funds to my investment in the future?

Additional funds can only be added to existing investment as they mature. You can however open additional investments at any time. There is no limit to the number of investments you may hold. You can fund additional amounts or new investments by completing a One-Off Direct Debit form which will give UFS authority to debit your financial institution. Please see link:
You can also post in a cheque, along with the below investment slip which let us know where to deposit funds.

I currently have my pension/Super paid into this Self Help investment every month, are these Direct Credits going to still come through with these new restrictions?

No, scheduled transactions are no longer permitted under the regulations imposed by APRA. You will still be able to contribute to the investment at maturity but automatic regular scheduled transactions are not allowed.
Alternatively, you can open new investments at any time.

What are your longer terms for locking in funds?

Fixed Term Investments are available with terms of up to 60 months.
Please visit our website at www.unitingfinancial.com.au for further information or contact our Partnership Team on 1300 133 673

How will I be able to withdraw from my investment?

Funds can only be accessed at maturity unless a case of hardship exists. You will need to provide your request in writing and forward it to this office.

If I can’t withdraw online this means notice via Australia Post will take much longer to get to you - how can I get around this? What methods of communication can I use when requesting a withdrawal?

1.If you have an Email/Facsimile Letter of Authority in place, you can send a scanned and signed withdrawal or request through to:
We recommend you consider lodging an Email/Facsimile Letter of Authority with us now so that you can email or fax us your written notice in future. The form can be downloaded from our website and the original must be received by us before we can accept any notice provided this way.
Please visit the below link to download, complete and mail the form to UFS.

2.Alternatively, you can send your written and signed request by Australia Post to us :
Uniting Financial Services
Reply Paid 2178

Note: No postage stamp is required

What is the minimum investment amount?

There is no minimum investment amount and new investments can be opened at any time.

How will interest be calculated on the investment?

Interest will be calculated daily and payable every 31 days commencing from the date of lodgement or rollover.

Can the interest rate change?

The interest rate applicable at the time of lodgement or rollover is fixed until maturity.

Can my interest be paid out to another Bank account?

Interest payments may either be directed to a nominated account with a financial institution (approved by APCA) or added to the 31 Day Investment.

Will statements still be sent out? How can I keep track of my funds?

Statements for this product will be sent out every six months on the last day of June and December each year.
If you currently have Uniting Online access, you will be able to view your new 31 day investment transactions and balance using your current access code.
To apply for Uniting Online, the form can be downloaded from our website:

Will these changes now mean you will pass on fees?

There will continue to be no transaction or investment maintenance fees. You will still be able to order cheques at no cost (other than Westpac Bank Cheques) and this request will be part of your instructions for maturity of investment.
Interest rates and fees are detailed in Part 2 and Part 3 respectively of the PIB.

Do I need to contact you every 31 days?

No. You will only need to contact us if you need make any changes such as adding or withdrawing funds or amending interest instructions.

How does UFS define hardship?

Uniting Financial Services has introduced guidelines on how you can access your funds early. These guidelines define what may be considered as hardship circumstances. This list is not exhaustive and we will consider all applications for hardship on a case by case basis. We hope to have these guidelines along with an application form available on our website soon.

For more information

Phone 1300 133 673

Trading hours are
Monday to Friday 9.00am until 5.00pm AEST Sydney time.

Office hours are
Monday to Friday 9.30am until 4.00pm.